Azerbaijan briefs foreign diplomats on Armenian military buildup

The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry on September 8 briefed foreign diplomats about the situation in the region, including the buildup of Armenian troops and military equipment on the border between the countries and in Karabakh.
The briefing was held by Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov, presidential aide Hikmet Hajiyev and presidential envoy for special assignments Elchin Amirbekov.
The Foreign Ministry said that in recent days, there has been an intensification of military provocations along the undemarcated Armenian-Azerbaijani state border and in the Karabakh region. Armenia has been openly digging new trenches, erecting fortifications, and building up personnel and military equipment in preparation for a "reckless military gamble."
The ministry also noted that the Armenian armed forces of about 10,000 people continue to be illegally stationed on Azerbaijani territory. Dozens of tanks and other armored vehicles, more than 200 units of heavy artillery, including multiple launch rocket systems, dozens of units of various electronic warfare equipment, and about 200 mortars are currently deployed on the territory of Azerbaijan, where the Russian peacekeeping contingent is temporarily deployed.
The Foreign Ministry said that Yerevan, in violation of its commitments, provides technical, military, logistical, and financial support for the deployment of these forces, which are "funded directly from the Armenian state budget."
The briefing comes amid growing tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The two countries have been locked in a conflict over the Karabakh region since the early 1990s. A ceasefire was signed in 2020, but there have been repeated violations since then.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry warned that the Armenian military buildup is a threat to peace and stability in the region. It called on Armenia to withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani territory and to fulfill its commitments under the ceasefire agreement. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has reiterated the Islamic Republic’s commitment to deepening relations with neighboring and Muslim countries, emphasizing Iran’s eagerness to enhance ties with Bahrain.
A Russian Tu-22M3 long-range supersonic bomber crashed in a deserted area of Irkutsk Oblast on Tuesday during a scheduled flight, killing the pilot and forcing four crew members to eject, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.
UN humanitarian officials have condemned the killing of 15 aid workers in Gaza by Israeli forces, calling for an independent investigation into Israel's systematic attack on emergency response teams.
At least 15 civilians, including women and children, were killed and several others injured when Israeli warplanes bombed a United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) clinic in the northern Gaza Strip, local sources reported.