France brings 1,700-hectare wildfire under control after four-day firefighting efforts
French authorities have brought under control a major wildfire that burned approximately 1,700 hectares of land in the Landes department after four days of intensive firefighting operations.
The fire broke out on Aug. 13 near the village of Luglon and spread rapidly through forested areas before emergency crews succeeded in containing the blaze.
Authorities said residents who had been evacuated as a precaution have been allowed to return to their homes after the situation stabilized.
Thousands of firefighters deployed
Firefighters worked for several days to contain the flames, supported by aerial firefighting aircraft and ground crews. Officials said monitoring operations will continue to prevent any flare-ups while crews secure the affected area.
No fatalities or major structural damage were reported in connection with the wildfire.
Difficult wildfire season
France is experiencing one of its most severe wildfire seasons in recent years. Since the beginning of the year, more than 117,000 hectares have been affected by wildfires across the country, while four firefighters have lost their lives during firefighting operations.
French authorities have repeatedly warned that prolonged heat, drought and strong winds have significantly increased wildfire risks across several regions and urged the public to follow fire safety restrictions.(ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Zambian authorities have arrested several prominent opposition figures in the aftermath of the country’s presidential and parliamentary elections, accusing them of posing a threat to national security as vote counting continues amid heightened political tensions.
The office of Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the head of the region’s security and intelligence agency were targeted in a drone attack early Monday, according to the KRG’s security authorities.
Iran said Monday that two French embassy employees at the center of a diplomatic dispute between Tehran and Paris will not be permitted to return to the country, accusing them of violating the Vienna Convention through activities involving Iranian civil society.