Human Rights Watch urges Hungary to arrest Netanyahu if he enters country

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called on Hungary to either deny entry to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or arrest him upon arrival, in accordance with an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Netanyahu is scheduled to visit Hungary on April 2, 2025, following an invitation from Prime Minister Viktor Orban.
The ICC issued arrest warrants against Netanyahu and his former defense minister, Yoav Gallant, on November 21, 2024, for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza, including alleged acts such as the deliberate targeting of civilians, mass killings, and the use of starvation as a weapon of war. HRW has accused Israeli authorities of committing acts of genocide in Gaza.
“Orban’s invitation to Netanyahu is an affront to victims of serious crimes,” said Liz Evenson, international justice director at HRW. “Hungary should comply with its legal obligations as a party to the ICC and arrest Netanyahu if he sets foot in the country.”
As a signatory to the ICC’s Rome Statute, Hungary is required to cooperate in the arrest and surrender of individuals with outstanding ICC warrants. However, several European Union (EU) member states, including France, Poland, Italy, Romania, and Germany, have either refused to commit to enforcing the ICC's warrant or stated that they would not arrest Netanyahu.
HRW has urged all ICC member states, including Hungary, to uphold their obligations under the Rome Statute and ensure the arrest of Netanyahu if he enters their jurisdiction. The organization also called on EU leadership to pressure Hungary to comply with international legal obligations and prevent further damage to its standing within the bloc.
The ICC’s Palestine investigation initially led to five arrest warrant requests, including against three Hamas leaders. However, the court later withdrew two of those requests following confirmation of their deaths, leaving only one Hamas official, Mohammed Deif, who was later also confirmed killed. Netanyahu and Gallant remain the only individuals subject to ICC warrants in connection to the Gaza war.
Hungary’s Foreign Minister, Peter Szijjártó, has previously criticized the ICC’s decision as “shameful and absurd.” Following the issuance of the warrants, Orban declared his intent to invite Netanyahu to Hungary, prompting warnings from EU officials that doing so would violate Hungary’s legal commitments under the Rome Statute.
The controversy comes amid ongoing concerns over Hungary’s erosion of democratic norms under Orban’s government. The EU launched a political enforcement process in 2018 over Hungary’s alleged violations of fundamental EU values, including curbing judicial independence and restricting civil society. Orban has also faced criticism for strengthening ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is himself subject to an ICC arrest warrant for alleged war crimes in Ukraine.
HRW warned that allowing Netanyahu’s visit without enforcing the ICC warrant would be another blow to the rule of law in Hungary. “All ICC member countries need to make clear they expect Hungary to abide by its obligations to the court, and that they will do the same,” Evenson said. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
A deadly wave of tornadoes and violent storms tore through the South and Midwest on Wednesday, leaving a trail of destruction, claiming at least one life in southeast Missouri, and putting millions at risk as the severe weather system barrels eastward.
Philippe Lazzarini, the Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), has strongly condemned the Israeli occupation forces' bombing of a UN facility in northern Gaza that killed nine children, including a two-week-old infant.
The United States has sharply intensified its aerial campaign in Yemen, launching 27 airstrikes on Saada Governorate in the past 12 hours, local sources reported on Thursday.
The Acting Minister of Energy and Water of Afghanistan, Mullah Abdul Latif Mansour, has rejected claims that the United States has provided financial assistance to the Islamic Emirate, dismissing them as mere propaganda.