Indonesia earthquake death toll rises to 51 as rescue teams battle landslides
At least 51 people have been killed and more than 100 injured after a powerful magnitude-7.7 earthquake struck eastern Indonesia, triggering landslides, damaging homes and cutting off roads as rescue teams race to reach communities affected by the disaster.
The earthquake struck the Flores region of East Nusa Tenggara province at 5:58 a.m. local time on Saturday, according to the US Geological Survey. The epicenter was located about 68 kilometers (42 miles) north-northwest of Ende, at a depth of approximately 10 kilometers (6.2 miles).
The shallow and powerful earthquake caused extensive destruction across parts of Flores, with more than 1,300 homes damaged and numerous public facilities affected. Around 5,000 people have been evacuated, many of whom are sheltering in temporary camps or public facilities after being forced to leave damaged homes.
Rescue teams have been working to reach residents who may still be trapped beneath collapsed buildings. Landslides triggered by the earthquake blocked sections of major roads, while power and communication outages have complicated rescue and relief operations.
More than 3,500 military and police personnel have been deployed to support search-and-rescue operations and assist affected communities. Rescuers have managed to reopen some routes into previously isolated areas, although several communities remain difficult to access.
The Trans-Flores Highway, a crucial route linking communities across the island, was among the roads affected by landslides.
The main earthquake was followed by hundreds of aftershocks, adding to fears among survivors and prompting many residents to remain outdoors rather than return to damaged buildings.
Authorities said at least 36 people suffered serious injuries while another 77 sustained minor injuries. Emergency medical teams have established temporary treatment areas, while relief workers are distributing food, drinking water, medicine and other essential supplies.
A tsunami warning was issued following the earthquake but was later lifted after authorities determined that there was no continuing threat to coastal communities. Residents have nevertheless been urged to remain alert because of continuing aftershocks.
The disaster has once again highlighted Indonesia's vulnerability to powerful earthquakes. The country lies along the Pacific Ring of Fire, where several tectonic plates meet and generate frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity.
Flores itself has experienced devastating seismic disasters in the past. A major earthquake and tsunami in 1992 killed around 2,500 people on the island.
The latest earthquake is among Indonesia's deadliest seismic disasters in recent years, and authorities have warned that the scale of casualties and damage could continue to rise as rescue teams gain access to isolated communities.
Search-and-rescue operations and emergency relief efforts remain underway across the affected areas, with authorities focusing on locating survivors, treating the injured and providing shelter and essential supplies to thousands of displaced residents. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Three people were killed Monday when a private helicopter crashed shortly after takeoff on the Greek island of Sifnos, in the southern Aegean Sea, Greek fire brigade officials said.
Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani met with U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Syria and Iraq Tom Barrack in Istanbul on Monday for talks focused on bilateral relations, regional developments and Syria’s economic recovery.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan held a phone conversation with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to discuss the latest developments in negotiations on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and efforts to preserve the ceasefire.
A Vietnam Airlines Boeing 787 passenger aircraft returned safely to Munich Airport shortly after takeoff after onboard systems detected a tail strike indication and low tire pressure warnings during departure.