One killed, two seriously injured in sword attack at Swedish school
An 18-year-old armed with a sword attacked a school in central Sweden on Friday, killing one person and seriously injuring two others, authorities said.
Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said the suspect was arrested after the attack at Brinellskolan in Fagersta, a town northwest of Stockholm. Police confirmed that shots were fired during the arrest, according to Swedish news agency TT.
The dead victim was discovered when police entered the school to secure the premises, Alriksson said.
The attack occurred while classes were in session, with approximately 400 to 500 students at the school at the time. Authorities immediately launched a major emergency response, with police, firefighters and medical personnel deployed to the scene.
Police said the suspect was taken into custody and there was no immediate indication that anyone else was involved.
"We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators," Alriksson told reporters, adding that the investigation was continuing.
Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad said authorities received an alarm in the early afternoon and immediately dispatched officers to the school. Investigators were expected to examine available surveillance camera footage as part of the investigation.
Authorities have not yet established a possible motive for the attack.
Following the incident, several schools in the surrounding area were placed under lockdown as a precaution. Police also established roadblocks around the area while emergency services treated the injured.
The Fagersta municipal government established a crisis center at a nearby sports hall to assist students, families and others affected by the attack.
The Västmanland regional government said many people had been affected and that police, fire and healthcare personnel were involved in the emergency response.
Authorities urged members of the public to stay away from the area while the investigation and emergency operations continued.
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson expressed his condolences following the attack.
In a post on X, Kristersson said he was saddened by the violence in Fagersta, which occurred "right after the summer break."
"We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively," he said, adding that his thoughts were with everyone affected.
The attack has shocked the local community as students and staff returned to school following the summer holiday.
Police said the investigation remains ongoing and that further information about the circumstances of the attack, the victims and the suspect's possible motive would be released as authorities establish the facts. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Germany's failure to refill its natural gas storage facilities at the expected pace is raising concerns over energy security ahead of the winter season. Storage levels remain at around 50 percent, making it increasingly difficult to meet legally required targets, while opposition parties and industry representatives have criticized the government's energy policy.
Foreign ministers from 11 countries, including Türkiye, have strongly condemned recent airstrikes carried out by the Israeli regime against Syria, warning that the attacks represent a serious escalation and threaten regional stability.
Finland's Foreign Ministry said Friday that it had summoned Russia's ambassador to demand an explanation after a Russian military reconnaissance aircraft allegedly violated Finnish airspace over the Gulf of Finland.
At least 52 people were killed after an overloaded boat carrying farmers and laborers to rice fields capsized in northwestern Nigeria’s Sokoto State, officials said.