Trump supends 50% tariffs on Canadian imports for three days after breakthrough
U.S. President Donald Trump has postponed the implementation of a planned 50% tariff on selected Canadian imports for three days, saying the decision follows a breakthrough in negotiations between the United States and Canada.
The additional tariffs had been scheduled to take effect on Aug. 19, but Trump announced that their implementation would be temporarily suspended while both sides finalize the necessary documents.
Agreement prompts temporary suspension
In a post on social media, Trump said the delay was conditional upon the completion of the final agreement.
"I have suspended the planned 50% tariffs on Canada for a period of three days, subject to the finalization of the documents, because the United States and Canada have reached an agreement," he said.
The White House has not yet released further details about the agreement or specified which Canadian products will be covered by the temporary suspension.
Trade talks continue
The decision signals progress in ongoing trade negotiations between Washington and Ottawa, which have sought to resolve disputes over tariffs and market access.
Officials from both countries are expected to complete the legal and administrative procedures before the new deadline expires. It remains unclear whether the three-day delay will lead to a permanent resolution or whether the proposed tariffs will ultimately take effect.
The United States and Canada are among each other's largest trading partners, with bilateral trade valued at hundreds of billions of dollars annually, making any change in tariff policy significant for businesses and supply chains on both sides of the border.(ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
The United States has dramatically escalated its campaign against the International Criminal Court (ICC), imposing sanctions on the court’s president and a senior trial lawyer in a move that critics say represents a brazen attempt by Washington to intimidate international justice and shield powerful allies from accountability.
The United States has imposed sanctions on two senior officials of the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the court's investigations into alleged war crimes involving officials of the Israeli occupation regime, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced.
Syria has formally complained to the United Nations over what it described as Israeli airstrikes on the Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in Idlib province, calling the attack a clear violation of its sovereignty and territorial integrity and urging the international community to take action against Israel.