Syria resumes direct Damascus-Moscow flights after 18-month suspension
Direct passenger flights between Syria and Russia resumed on Saturday after an interruption of around 18 months, restoring a key air link that had been suspended following the political upheaval in Syria in late 2024.
Syrian Airlines restarted scheduled non-stop services between Damascus and Moscow on Aug. 16, with officials saying the inaugural flight departed at full capacity after tickets sold out ahead of departure.
The Syrian Civil Aviation and Air Transport Authority said the reopening of the route forms part of a broader strategy to expand Syria's international flight network and reconnect the country with major overseas destinations.
Weekly service launched with room for expansion
The first flight was scheduled to operate from Damascus to Moscow's Sheremetyevo International Airport, with the return service taking place later the same day.
Initially, the route will operate once a week on Sundays. Syrian Airlines has opened bookings for upcoming flights through Oct. 18, and officials said flight frequency could be increased if passenger demand remains strong.
The journey between the two capitals is expected to take approximately four hours and 45 minutes.
Air link reflects evolving ties between Damascus and Moscow
Direct flights between Damascus and Moscow were suspended in December 2024 following the collapse of Bashar al-Assad's government and the security and political uncertainty that followed.
Since the new Syrian administration led by Ahmed al-Sharaa took office, Damascus has sought to rebuild diplomatic and economic relations with regional and Western countries while maintaining strategic ties with Russia, one of its longstanding partners.
The restoration of direct flights is therefore viewed as more than the resumption of air travel, reflecting continuing cooperation between Syria and Russia as both countries adjust their relationship to Syria's new political landscape.(ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
The death toll from the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 2,325, making it the deadliest Ebola epidemic in the country's history, according to the National Institute of Public Health.
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed its condolences to the government and people of Indonesia following the powerful earthquake that struck Flores Island and surrounding areas.
At least six people were killed and four others injured, including a 14-year-old child, in a Ukrainian missile strike on the Russian border region of Belgorod, local authorities said Monday.
The Palestinian Commission of Detainees' and Ex-Detainees' Affairs said Palestinians held in Israeli occupation prisons have been denied contact with the outside world for 1,000 consecutive days, while the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has been prevented from visiting detainees during the same period.