Five more die of starvation in Gaza as Israeli blockade strangles life
Hospitals across the Gaza Strip confirmed on Sunday that five more Palestinians, including three children, have died within the past 24 hours from famine and severe malnutrition, as the Israeli blockade continues to strangle the besieged territory.
The latest fatalities raise the death toll from hunger-related causes to 387, including 138 children, since the start of the crisis, according to Gaza’s health authorities.
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC), which earlier this year issued a stark famine warning, has recorded 109 starvation-linked deaths since its alert, among them 23 children. Medical staff in Gaza say new cases of malnutrition and starvation are arriving “around the clock,” overwhelming hospitals already stretched beyond capacity.
Local doctors estimate that 900,000 children in Gaza are enduring hunger, with at least 70,000 reaching the dangerous stage of clinical malnutrition. “The situation is catastrophic. We are seeing children wasting away before our eyes,” one Gaza pediatrician told reporters.
The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) has repeatedly sounded the alarm over the accelerating crisis, noting that malnutrition rates among children under five doubled between March and June 2025 due to the ongoing siege. The agency has described the conditions as “entirely preventable” if food aid were allowed to enter freely.
Health officials warn that unless immediate, large-scale humanitarian access is granted, the death toll will continue to rise sharply in the coming weeks. “We are not facing a food shortage problem, but a deliberate blockade preventing aid from reaching those in need,” a Gaza health ministry spokesperson said.
The famine deaths add to the broader humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, where relentless military assaults and a total blockade have devastated civilian life. Aid agencies stress that children remain the most vulnerable, bearing the heaviest burden of hunger, disease, and displacement. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday denounced a large-scale Russian overnight attack involving 36 missiles and nearly 600 drones, which left three people dead and dozens wounded across Kyiv and surrounding areas.
US President Donald Trump unilaterally declared the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be "closed in its entirety" on Saturday.
Suhail Shahin, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s representative in Qatar, has called for a full and transparent investigation into the recent shooting in Washington that targeted two U.S. National Guard members, emphasizing the suspect’s background and ties to U.S.-controlled Afghan security structures.
The death toll from devastating floods and landslides triggered by cyclonic rains on the Indonesian island of Sumatra has surged to 303, disaster officials announced on Saturday.