Iran says Trump’s new pressure campaign repeats past failures
Iran has strongly rejected the latest US economic pressure campaign, with Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi saying Washington is resorting to familiar tactics after repeatedly failing to achieve its objectives through military threats and economic coercion.
Speaking on Sunday at a ceremony at the mausoleum of Imam Khomeini, Araqchi said the latest US sanctions campaign was merely a repackaging of a policy that Iran has confronted for years.
He noted that Washington had previously described its measures as “crippling sanctions” under the Obama administration and “maximum pressure” during Donald Trump’s first presidency, while the current campaign has been presented under another label. According to Araqchi, the different names mask the same strategy of attempting to pressure the Iranian people into submission.
“It is a repetitive film that they are showing again, and we know it by heart and know how to confront and deal with it,” Araqchi said.
The Iranian foreign minister said Washington’s return to economic coercion after issuing military threats was itself evidence that previous attempts to confront Iran had failed.
Araqchi argued that the revival of old sanctions policies demonstrated that the United States had been unable to find an effective strategy against the Islamic Republic.
“The fact that they have once again resorted to their old plans after military operations and threats to strike and do this and that shows that they are desperate,” he said.
According to Araqchi, Iran has repeatedly demonstrated its ability to withstand external pressure and defend its national interests despite sanctions and military threats.
He stressed that Washington should abandon its policy of coercion and instead approach the Iranian people with respect.
“They must return to a path that has already been tried. The Iranian nation responds to the language of dignity with respect,” he said.
Araqchi also dismissed concerns that a renewed US economic blockade could intimidate Iran, emphasizing that the country has endured years of sanctions and pressure without abandoning its independent policies.
“We have never been afraid,” he said.
The foreign minister maintained that previous US sanctions, economic restrictions and military actions had failed to force Iran to yield, arguing that the latest campaign would likewise fail to achieve its objectives.
Araqchi’s remarks underscore Tehran’s longstanding position that dialogue is possible when conducted on the basis of mutual respect, national sovereignty and dignity, while attempts to impose political outcomes through sanctions and military threats will not succeed.
Iran has repeatedly called for the lifting of unilateral sanctions and an end to what it describes as Washington’s policy of maximum pressure, maintaining that the country will continue to defend its national interests and pursue an independent foreign policy. (ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Greece has moved a Patriot air defense battery from the island of Karpathos to Crete to strengthen protection around the strategically important Souda Bay area, according to sources cited by Kathimerini.
At least 30 people were killed early Sunday after a massive pile of waste collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea’s capital, Conakry, according to an updated death toll released by the central government.
The Iranian Parliament’s National Security Committee has approved Article 3 of a draft law aimed at establishing a strategic framework for ensuring security in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important maritime corridors for energy transportation.